What is a Chargeback?
A Chargeback occurs when a Client claims they did not approve a charge, are not aware of it or it's fraud. This is very rare but can happen.
As soon as a Chargeback is initiated, the transaction amount is deducted from your Account and given back to the cardholder as conditional credit (per the card brand regulations as part of the Chargeback process). If you win, the disputed charged amount will be refunded minus the Chargeback fee ($20 non-refundable fee).
IMPORTANT: DO NOT issue a refund to the cardholder because credit has already been issued through the Chargeback process.
Reduce the chance of Chargeback by sending receipts and accepting same day payments if possible. Make sure your Client has signed all related policies regarding payments (CC consent form) and is aware of your DBA name.
Jump to Section [How to Refute a Chargeback] [Follow-Up: Win or Lose] [Additional Chargeback Notes] [Download Credit Card Charges Report]
How do I Refute a Chargeback?
We will help refute the Chargeback on your behalf with any supporting documents you can provide.
We recommend, contacting the Client/cardholder in an attempt to resolve any questions they may have about the Charge.
If you are able to determine with the Client that the Chargeback was issued in error:
- Please have the cardholder notify the card-issuer or bank that the Chargeback was in error and that the transaction should be honored.
- Additionally, ask the Client to sign a letter stating they have contacted the card-issuer or bank, requested the transaction be honored. You can include this as a document to refute the Chargeback.
IMPORTANT: Please be aware that having your Client contact the card-issuer or bank will help the process, but will not resolve the Chargeback. You will STILL need to send in Supporting documents to refute the Chargeback. See next section.
Send in Supporting Documents to Refute Chargeback:
Please send as many of the following supporting documents as possible to aid TheraNest in refuting the Chargeback.
- Copies of signed credit card processing agreements, no show and cancelation policy, invoices, service agreement, order forms, and/or any item with the cardholder's signature.
NOTE: Please send copies of the following documents. DO NOT send in originals.
- A written and signed rebuttal letter supporting your case and refuting the reason for the Chargeback. We will use the documents you provide to re-present the Chargeback to the card-issuing bank. The card issuer will then decide to either let the Chargeback stand or reverse the money back to your account.
- A copy of the Credit Card Charges Report from TheraNest. See below how to run and export this report.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT send full credit card details in your information to refute the Chargeback.
Follow up: Win or lose
Card brand regulations allow up to 60 days for this process. We will notify you via email of the outcome. If you "win" the Chargeback the funds will be issued back to you. If you "lose" the chargeback funds will be kept in Client's account.
Additional Notes about Chargebacks:
- Chargebacks may reflect negatively on Merchant Accounts. If too many Chargebacks are issued against your Account, penalties could be imposed, and/or the Account could be closed.
Download Credit Card Charges Report
As mentioned above, the Credit Card Charges Report is a helpful supporting document to send in to refute a Chargeback.
- Click Reports in primary navigation bar and click Credit Card Charges under Billing section.
- Set appropriate Date Filters.
- Click the CSV and PDF button on the upper right tab to download a copy.