Permissions: Must have Billing Permissions.
Negative payments will adjust the balance due on invoices when they are applied. If it is applied as an unapplied credit it will adjust the total amount due on the ledger. This can be done automatically when ERAs are processed or manually.
Automatically Processed Negative or Zero Dollar ERA Payouts:
Things to Note:
- added to the Ledger from an ERA.
- If no Invoice is found, it will be added to the Ledger as an unapplied payment.
- You cannot edit the dollar amount for negative/zero dollar adjustments or payments. All of the details are editable and negative/zero payments can be applied and unapplied to Invoices just like all other payments.
Process & Apply Negative ERA Payment Amounts
- Process the negative and zero payments like any other payment in your ERA.
- Once the payment has been processed it will attach to the correct Invoice.
- OR, if no Invoice is found it will be added to the Unapplied Payments section of the Ledger.
- You then can apply that payment to an open Invoice with an insurance balance due just like applying a regular payment.
Manually Post Negative Payment Amounts
Negative payments will adjust the balance due on the invoice. If it is applied as an unapplied credit it will adjust the total amount due on the ledger.
- On the Clients tab, select the Client and click Ledger.
- Scroll to the invoice and click Actions > Apply Payment.
- Choose whether it is a Client Payment or Insurance Payment.
- In the "Payment" box you will enter the negative payment amount.
NOTE: To indicate this is a negative payment you will need to have the negative symbol before your amount.
- Save the payment.
- To confirm the applied negative payment return to Actions, View Details and scroll down to Invoice Payments and Refunds.
NOTE: If the amount or negative payment exceeds total amount paid it will not allow you to post the negative payment to the invoice.